Saturday, March 23, 2013

Coming Full Circle

This morning was amazing and I don't know that the words will fall right to really express how amazing it really was.  For the last several weeks the ladies of Oasis Women's Ministry at Discover Point Church have been purchasing items to donate to Rockdale Medical Center to give to families who suffer early and late term pregnancy loss or infant loss (some after a stay in the NICU).  We also collected preemie clothing for the babies who are released from the NICU.  We collected Bibles, copies of the book, "I Will Carry You" for late term losses, copies of the book "I'll Hold You in Heaven" for early and late term losses, and copies of "Symphony in the Dark" for those who lose a child shortly after birth, baby blankets, hats, booties, handprint/footprint kits, gift cards, journals, devotionals, spa socks, body wash, information about our church and our women's ministry, copies of my story of Noah and copies of my friend and her husband's story from a father's perspective.  It was amazing to see our ladies giving to this so sacrificially.




 This morning we met at the church at 10:00am to put individual bags together with the items.  We separated them into bags for early term losses, late term losses and NICU items. 

Then we headed to the hospital. When we arrived at the nurses station in labor and delivery, we were greeted by some AMAZING nurses! They were all SO excited about us coming and about the donations.


They took photos of us for their newsletter and then one of the nurses took us on a tour of the NICU.  We saw several of the tiniest babies I've ever seen in my life (one was just under 1 pound).  What a miracle each one of those precious little ones are! The facility is top notch and the people working in that NICU are true miracle workers.  I can't imagine how tough that job must be, but I'm so very thankful for what they do!

We were told that there was a family at the hospital who had just lost their twin girls at 22 weeks.  The doctor had spoken with the family and they had requested that we personally deliver a bag to them.  My friend Heather who has suffered a loss of her own came with me and we went to their hospital room.  There on the door was the sunset postcard...just like we had on our door when we lost Noah.  This helps anyone entering their room to know they have suffered a loss.  We hugged their necks and spent a little time sharing our stories with them and praying with them. We saw the tiny handprints and footprints of their precious babies on a card next to the bed.  I was able to get the email address of the mother so we can stay in touch.  Heather and I held it together until we walked out the door.  It was very tough, but I walked out of that room really feeling like I have come full circle.

I remember staring at the ceiling and beating my fists against the bed the moment we knew Noah was gone.  I couldn't understand what God was doing.  Would I give anything to have Noah back? Absolutely.  But I am so thankful that God's ways are bigger than our ways.  Being able to walk along side someone who is going through the anguish that I went through and being able to point them toward the grace, mercy and love of my Saviour???...it's priceless.  It gives me purpose.

After meeting with the family, a sweet nurse named Jennifer took us to a room where they store all of the donations to give to families who lose a child.  I was so moved when Jennifer told me that we had come at the perfect time. She said,  "we don't have much at all and even just yesterday some of us went and bought just a few items because we run out of stuff so quickly!"  The fact that these nurses care enough to go out and spend their own money to give these families just a little bit of comfort is so humbling.

I know there are many of you who wanted to help with this project and it is never too late! This is something that is my very heartbeat and I hope to continue in this ministry.  I plan on taking more items around Noah's 4th birthday (July 7th), so please keep the donations coming! You may be surprised how many losses the hospital sees each week.  We asked for some specific items they are in need of and they said they need 4x6 picture frames and frames for ultrasound photos, more handprint/footprint kits, grief counseling  and group support literature, and books, Bibles, and other literature in Spanish.

Thank you so much to everyone who played a part in making this day happen! I feel so incredibly blessed to have been a part of it.  Thank you Oasis Women and Discover Point Church!!!

2 comments:

  1. Greetings! My name is Heather and I have a question about your blog that I was hoping you could answer :-) If you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great promotions the board module for private companies needing to sell advertisement space to sponsors straightforwardly.


    Digital Technology Institute

    ReplyDelete